Almost as good as pizza
in Downers Grove is the dessert you get to eat afterwards. Nothing follows up a great pizza meal quite like a sweet treat. But what do you serve that will complement pizza rather than compete with it? Dessert is an indulgence any way you slice it, but there are a few stand-outs that are sure to be a winner. Here are some of the best desserts we recommend to top off your pizza night:
When you’re in the mood for
- Sorbet and biscotti – After a flavor-packed pizza, something light and crunchy should be on the menu. The lightness of a fruit sorbet and the crispness of biscotti to dunk in your after-dinner coffee (or tea) is just the ticket. Change up the sorbet flavor based on the season: berry, lemon, or peach in the spring and summer, and pumpkin or spiced apple in the fall and winter. Want something a little creamier than sorbet? Gelato works, too—any flavor.
- Fresh fruit – Continuing with the light theme, fresh fruit works nicely as well. Cut up apples, pears, and bananas and drizzle lemon juice over the top to keep the fruit from browning. Serve on their own or with melted chocolate as a dip. Another idea? Macerated strawberries (strawberries that have been sprinkled with sugar to draw out their juices and create a kind of sweet syrup) with a dollop of whipped cream.
- Tiramisu – It’s hard to go wrong with a classic Italian dessert like tiramisu. The feathery layers of ladyfingers and cream with the traditional espresso flavoring are the perfect complement to a pizza loaded with rich and spicy flavors like pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms, lots of cheese, and a red sauce. And here’s a little fact about the name: according to Delallo.com, tiramisu translates to “pick me up,” which either refers to the caffeinated zing from the espresso and cocoa in the dessert, or the idea that it’s so wonderful it seems to say to the person eating it, “Pick me up.”
- Cheesecake – We know, we know: can a rich cheesecake really follow a rich meal like pizza? Well, if decadence is your middle name, then the answer is yes. Save time by making the quick, no-bake variety with a crushed cookie or graham cracker crust, which is just as tasty as the baked version. Just make sure it sets for four hours before you dive in. That’ll give you plenty of time to polish off your favorite pizza first.
- Chocolate chip cookies – That perennial favorite of kids and adults everywhere also happens to be the perfect ending to a pizza meal: a fun, informal, eat-with-your-hands kind of dessert. For a twist, turn the cookies into ice cream sandwiches with a layer of vanilla ice cream in between. Or bake one big cookie in a pie pan and serve it in wedges.
halal pizza, head over to Block Pizza
. The perfect accompaniment to parties, small gatherings, or just a quiet night at home, we make our pizzas fast with the freshest ingredients. Call
331-777-5789 or order online
for pickup or delivery.